Ten Tips To Drink More Water2022-06-24T22:30:48+00:00
Water is the source of life. Don’t believe it? Our bodies are made up of 60% water and the Earth is made up of 71% of water. Water is essential to our health and well-being and it is important to ensure that our bodies are properly hydrated, especially in this Florida heat.
Did you know it is recommended to consume eight 8oz glasses of water per day? This simple rule is sometimes hard to remember so it has been given the nickname “The 8×8 Rule”. This may seem like a lot to some but if you think about it 64oz is close as drinking about 3.5 20oz-bottles of soda a day or 5 12oz-cups of coffee. You can easily surpass this daily goal by drinking 4 bottles of water.
If you still think you will have trouble consuming the daily dose of H20, here are ten tips to make sure that you drink plenty of water.
- Add flavor. There are several types of products on the market to flavor your water but you can easily change up the taste of your glass by adding fruit like a lemon or mint leaves, or for something sweeter, try strawberries.
- Keep a water bottle with you at all times. Having the water near at hand will help to ensure that’s what you reach for when you are thirsty. Use a reusable bottle to fill up while you are on the go and if you are concerned with the quality of public water, get a reusable bottle with a built-in filter.
- Make it a habit. Pick something you do often throughout the day, like taking a bathroom break, and drink a glass of water after doing so. Eventually, drinking water will become part of your routine.
- Wake up with it. Drinking water first thing in the morning is the perfect start to your day. As an added bonus, it is a gently way of waking your digestive system after a nighttime of fasting.
- Drink water with a fizz. This is especially helpful for those with a soda addiction. Learn to curb your cravings for that carbonated beverage by drinking sparkling or mineral water. It still counts towards your daily water intake and you still get that bubbly taste.
- Track your usage with an app. For many people utilizing technology in our daily tasks is as common as breathing. Download an app that will help you to track the amount of water you drink daily. The plus side is most apps will allow you to set a goal and send you reminders when you get close or are falling behind.
- Drink before you eat. This tip not only helps you make drinking water a habit but if you have weight loss goals or are keeping calories in mind, drinking water will make you feel more full so you do not overeat (which is especially helpful if you are eating out where portions are typically larger).
- Mark your bottle. Or buy it marked with ounces or times. This will help you to set a goal of drinking “x” amount of water by lunch time.
- Make yourself a mixed drink. And we don’t mean alcoholic. Water down your usual drink of lemonade, juice, or tea to “sneak” in some water into your routine. As an extra bonus, you will consume less sugar!
- Eat it! If you feel that you are always drinking something and need a break, try eating water-rich fruits and vegetables like watermelon (92% water), grapefruit (91%), cucumber (96%), or zucchini (95%). Incorporate these foods into a meal or eat them by themselves as a healthy snack.